The Museum holds a large collection of postcards and photographs relating to Cuckfield and its people.
Here is a small sample:
Broad Street in 1907.
Denman’s coach builders and blacksmiths have adapted to changing times by becoming motor dealers and repairers – although there is not as yet much traffic to speak of!
Cuckfield High Street, date unknown but probably around 1870s/80s when the Talbot had adapted from being an important coaching inn to a large hotel advertising horses and vehicles for hire. This is one of the earliest images in the museum’s collection.
Soldiers from the Post Office Rifles were billeted
in Cuckfield for six months in 1915.
Here they are seen on parade outside the Rose & Crown pub.
South Street during the First World War.
There were plenty of soldiers around Cuckfield at this time, either billeted here or on their way to the coast for embarkation to France.
Piper’s Stores in the High Street, April 1904.
The building (adjoining what is now Lloyds Chemist) now houses Jo-Jo’s, Ensor and David Foord-Brown Antiques.
Ethel Smith at the door of her little general store in the 1920s. These buildings adjoined the Smith family’s Brook Street forge on the Balcombe Road near the turning into Sparks Lane.
Hatchlands School for Girls in the early 1920s.
Cuckfield’s Bathing Place in the 1930s.
This was opened at the turn of the 20th Century by the Cuckfield Improvement Association and was a very popular amenity until the polio epidemic of the early 1950s forced its closure.
Cuckfield Hospital in 1982.
The hospital closed in 1991 when all services were moved to the new Princess Royal in Haywards Heath.
An aerial view of Chatfield Road in the 1930s.
An aerial view showing Horsgate Lane leading away among the trees.