Welcome to Cuckfield Museum - “Caring for Cuckfield’s Heritage“


Opening Hours: Wednesday and Saturday: 10 am till 12:30 pm. Or by appointment


Contact us at 01444-473630 or info@cuckfieldmuseum.org. Or, go here for more information


The historic town of Cuckfield is situated at the crossroads of central Sussex.

One of the earliest finds of dinosaur bones in the world was  made here in Cuckfield by Dr Gideon Mantell and his wife.  There is a record of a church in Cuckfield as early as 1092 and it was a bustling market town in the Middle Ages.  During Tudor times, Cuckfield was at the centre of the important iron industry where cannon and other armoury was forged for  King Henry VIII’s navy. The town’s Charter was granted by King Charles II in 1671 and many of the buildings in the town date back to the 16th Century.  Due to its key position in the Weald, Cuckfield became an important staging post on the London to Brighton stagecoach route.

Cuckfield Museum is an independent museum where we attempt to provide an insight into Cuckfield’s community, culture and historic past stretching back to pre-history when dinosaurs roamed the area and where, millions of years later, the settlement of Cuckfield was established.

Please browse our website to get a flavour of what is on offer at the Museum.

You can find us at: Queens Hall, High Street, Cuckfield, RH17 5EL. Link to Road Map


We have a number of Loan Boxes available for schools. And we run a full programme of Talks and Events throughout the year.


From 31st July the Museum will be open on Wednesdays and Saturdays 10am till 12:30pm only until further notice



Click on the image to see more about our display “Cuckfield’s History in 20 Objects”.







Click on the image to see more about our new “Teddy Bears' Picnic" display.




Facebook Facebook